Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Who am I to judge? - Rant Post

So I have to come out and say it because if I see it one more time I will scream… As a full time working outside of the home mom, I am perpetually scrambling to get everything done. What is this “working outside of the home” business? Does the world think that moms who work outside of the home sit with their feet up and drink lemonade when they are at home?

Well yes, it’s a choice I made. To be able to live the kind of life that I want and provide a certain kind of life for my children and for my general sanity I need to have a job. As a full time working outside of the home mom I co-ordinate my kids play dates, birthday parties, activities that they participate in, their day-care schedules. I plan & cook all their meals, I buy all their clothes, I schedule and go to all their doctor visits, I pick and drop them up from day care - All this in addition to meeting some of mine and my husband’s needs.  I don’t get breaks or “Me” time because my husband works just as hard as me. I don’t get to shove the kids onto my husband and stroll through the aisles of Target or whatever. Keep aside the fact that I have never strolled through the aisles of Target even before I had kids. Maybe some sojourns at Barnes & Noble or a Starbucks (one never gets to idle time away at a Dunkin!!) I wake up earlier than the rest of my household to hand wash and sterilize my infant’s feeding bottles and pack my older one’s lunch. I spend a bulk of the Sunday evening cooking dinners for the family. I think you get the point – I do everything for my kids in addition to holding down a full time job at which I am fairly successful, if I may say so myself. I don’t come home to a sleeping child! I haven’t missed either one of my children’s milestones. I heard the first words, I saw the first smile, the first crawl and several other milestones that my older one has already hit and can’t wait for my younger one to do them as well. They are healthy, happy, well – adjusted, intelligent children.


And I am not the only one who does this! There are several other wonderful women who do exactly what I am doing. We don’t have the time to shout it from the rooftops! Will I do it differently if I had a choice? Probably not! I am going to end my rant with the wonderful line that I hate from the bottom of my heart – “I am sure everyone has their reasons and I am not one to judge.”

No comments: