Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tan colored capri pants

I must take this oppurtunity to say that I have had it with people. People in general and nosy invasive people in particular. Folks who want to know what career choices I am making, when my husband and I plan to visit India, when we plan to have children or better yet telling me when to have children, where to look for houses, the easiest way to host 15 ppl (when I am going to host people is beyond me).I mean I have had it with people in general. Attended a desi birthday party last week and came home with a dull headach and a bunch of laughes. Loud music, parents trying to show off their kids apparent talents, pre-teen girls acting wiser than their age with make up, tons of jarring sweets. Its a 10 year olds birthday. Dont play bingo at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy some pizza, cake and juice, have a bunch of kids over and let them play with the Wii.. D and I decided that our kids are not going to have any birthday parties with adults in them (till they become adults themselves). I used to go for dozens of these things as a kid myself and have had oh about 15 of them before I stopped but there were no adults at most of them. Atleast besides the kid's parents.

When one gets on the plane I think some sense of warped desi-ness props up. A holier- than-thou attitude. I was at the gym a few weeks ago when a nice young lady told me and I quote "I used to be like you. But now I have improved. My MIL has taught me how to be a good wife." I take freaking umbrage lady. I am a great wife. Excuse me if I don't get up at 5 am like an idiot to cook lunch for my husband when I can do it the night before. I also don't like the kind who proclaim that all things desi are soo archaic and try really hard to adapt with the life here and fail miserably. I know someone who is learning "Lawn Tennis"!!!!!
And what is with the dressing like "items". They are soooo awkward in clothes they evidently havent worn before. I mean there isn't a soul here who hasn't heard of India, why not wear clothes you are comfortable with instead of looking weird and extremely out of place.

On a tangential note, I spoke to a couple of my friends last week.. I must be honest it was soooo nice to hear familiar voices and familiar terms.. Took a while to get to common ground which saddened me a little bit.These are folks that I spent everyday of 4 years of my bachelors with. Spent hours talking with.. But I have to say I am super happy to be back on track.

And first prize to guess what the whole thing has to do with tan colored capri pants..

7 comments:

nandita said...

Hey I want to play lawn tennis too! We've been searching for a grass court nearby with no luck! Tan-Capri pants allegorical reference to Desis in the US? Or am I reading too much into it??

Divya said...

I second nandita.. the tan color refers to desi skin tone??

i think therefore i am said...

well.. U arent reading too much into it but it was that most desi women own tan colored capri pants.. But ur interpretation looks fun!!!

Divya said...

haha.. i get wat u r saying..!

nandita said...

Bulb happened..Apparently Lawn Tennis just means tennis as opposed to table tennis..Atleast S says so!

Bg said...

:)good post.i enjoyed reading this

Sam said...

the trouble is, we suddenly try to make indian-ness the criteria for our friendship and we end up surrounded by people we never had anything in common with at all...