Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Random Musings

I just discovered that I am not a big fan of Greek Yogurt. Now that could also be bcoz I ate non - fat plain. It was a tad too thick for my taste. I topped it up with some granola and a dash of honey. Maybe I should buy some flavored.

D and I have been trying to eat healthier of late. Which means that there are more trips to Whole Foods. But both of us are discovering interesting flavors. From the awesomely sweet Maple Syrups to the different types of cheeses including the soy - cheeses( which isnt as bad as it sounds!!!). I am going through a phase of experimenting with different types of granolas. D is attempting buckwheat. You need to boil it till the water evaporates and then add milk. I must warn you that it needs to be flavored quite a bit coz its pretty bland (well that is an understatement) I put in maple syrup/honey, bananas (or watever fruit you have at hand). I pretty much follow the recipe but I dont have patience waiting for the water to evaporate so I cook it in the pressure cooker.

We also switched oils. From Canola to Vegetable Oil. I usually have EVOO lying around the house as well. But sometimes you cant cook Indian with EVOO and of course we cant fry with it. I am really proud of myself coz I can actually differentiate between the canola and the vegetable. Something I couldn't do till atleast 6 months ago.

Oh! Oh! I also tried brown rice. Now tell me.. Has anyone eaten anything more buttery.. more nuttier than brown rice. And no.. Its no fancy pants brown rice from any organic store - Its the stuff one gets at the regular super market. I think that I am officially a convert. A while ago I had also bought Quinoa. I am not sure if I cooked it right but I wasnt a big fan. So the box is sitting on my kitchen shelf hidden behind boxes of my spices. I also gave whole wheat couscous a shot.. Yummo!! But again I load it up with veggies. Anything on hand.

Last weekend I made hummus. It was nice.. Maybe something was lacking.. It dint taste exactly like the store bought one so maybe I did something wrong!!

I donno if its possible. But I think I am getting a lil sick of cereal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone who knows me even remotely knows that I can survive on cereal. I can eat three courses of it. But for the last few days it aint appealing to me much. a ten year run is coming to a slow down. I dont want it to stop.

I can strongly say that N is an inspiration for urs truly spending more time in the kitchen.

On a tangential note (its not even tangential its probably in a totally other quadrant). As folks get older I think they get a lil cranky and nutty. I just discovered first hand from an aunt of mine. I mean I have learnt manners from this aunt but I jus discovered that maybe as they grow older they kinda jus un learn all the stuff.. Reminds me of the stuff I read in the poem from All The World Is a Stage.
Well that is jus me cribbing but where better to do it tell me???

7 comments:

nandita said...

I love greek yoghurt too..its yummm..u shud try the flavored ones..i had some honey walnut items..was out of the world yumm! For a minute before i scrolled over I thought the N was me n I was shocked to say the least :D

i think therefore i am said...

ahhh oopsie.. I meant another frnd..I donno how much u coook di

Divya said...

I love greek yogurt.. and I looooooove Whole Foods!!

i think therefore i am said...

maybe I need to just get to the right kind of yogurt.. still trying out different kinds

Ne said...

I don't like greek yoghurt either..or the buttermilk..

niha said...

I'm getting hungry just reading! Glad to see that your food-life is so exciting though! If you want to use up the leftover quinoa in a way that you won't really taste it, add black beans and shredded cheddar and make 'quesadillas' out of them. yummy and fairly healthy!

i think therefore i am said...

@ niha.. u are the inspiration lady.. u are the inspiration.. and will try ur recipe and let u know..