Wednesday, January 17, 2007

One of my serious posts- Goals

"Going to college and getting a degree are all goals. And I am working toward attaining my goals!!!!" This advertisement for a certain educational institution shocked me beyond words. Where I come from these aint goals.This is something I just did. I was amazed that people actually wanted to do something else.Heck what else can you do??

I guess this is the difference that exists between countries,continents, the east and the west, whatever which way we choose to put it. In India at age 3 a child is put in school and the child continues until he/she finishes it and then goes on to college to obtain a degree(atleast most middle,upper-middle class families work this way). After the degree he/she finds a job and settles down in life. This is life as I know it and this is how it exists. However here in Umerica going to school and finishing it is apparently a goal!!!!!!! Why is this such a glaring difference. Is there a total lack of regard for a formal education in this country. Is basic education not required to get ahead of life. A knowledge of the history of this country, basic math , chemical formula of water, sulfuric acid and organic chemistry are all this a total waste of time and money and brain space??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it because the basic needs are provided to any person in this country that education doesnt seem that important. In India we had the mid day meal scheme, and also free and compulsory education for all children until the age of 14. Hasnt a place like this come up with schemes like this to keep children at school.I am not aware of any. Would incentives like that work here??

4 comments:

Da Rodent said...

I thought schooling was compulsory. :-S

i think therefore i am said...

@da rodent. apparently not here!!!!!

tt_giant said...

Well.. there is a no-child-left-behind act.. theoretically, atleast!

In any event, yea, there are so many high school drop-outs who just meander aimlessly, working wherever and spending it all for the weekend.

i think therefore i am said...

@ ttg..it just is soooo confusing