Thursday, April 26, 2007

In the bazaars of....

What do you sell O ye merchants ?
Richly your wares are displayed.
Turbans of crimson and silver,
Tunics of purple brocade,
Mirror with panels of amber,
Daggers with handle of jade.

What do you weigh, O ye vendors?
Saffron and lentil and rice.
What do you grind, O ye maidens?
Sandalwood, henna, and spice.
What do you call , O ye pedlars?
Chessman and ivory dice.

The poem doesnt end here but I just put it an exerpt. The first city I fell in love with. As the train was coming toward the Mouala Ali station I could not contain my excitement. Visibly more joyful I would wait for the station to come. Couldn't wait to go to Ammamma's home and drink Boost and eat Idly. Then sit with the paper and decide what movies to watch. In case you wondering what place I am talking about, its Bhagyanagaram.


Yes this place was called Bhagyanagaram some several years ago. Now its called Hyderabad. This city is important to me for several reasons. My first nursery was here. My first memories of playing with friends was here. My first movie without adults was here. My first job was here. My first attempt at serious cooking. The first time I spoke to my husband was here. My first house is/was here.

Its one of the most welcoming cities I have been to. You can get a mix of sorts in this city. From amazing theatres to the para local ones. From Salarjang Museum to Kutub Shahi Tombs. From Necklace Road to Madhapur. From Mega Star to NBK!!!!! From chaos at Punjagutta junction to the calms of Banjara and Jubilee Hills and of course Bawarchi/ Paradise Biriyani..


I am dedicating this foto blog to my favourite city Hyderabad


Qutb Shahi Tombs

Most movies were shot in the above location. Horror Movies to Historical Movies.


Buddha Statue By night

This statue was supposed to be placed in the middle of the Hussain Sagar Lake. It fell into the water and lay there for several years before some noble souls hauled it out and placed it in its true location.


Birla Mandir
Amazing view from here. First temple where my office tag was placed. Once you climb this temple you can get a view of almost the whole of Secundrabad. Right across from the Buddha Statue.


Eat Street

My favourite eating spot in Hyderabad. On the banks of the Hussain Sagar Lake. ALL FOOD is here. AND I MEAN IT.. ALL..



Cyber Towers- HiTech City
The first place set up to handle the IT boom. Increased the economy of Hyderabad by leaps and bounds.



Wipro Madhapur. My Work Place (ex)

I can go on. Give you more and more places where you can visit. The most important thing about Hyderabad is Seshu Mammayya's house.



No post abt Hyderabad can be completed without this.

6 comments:

tt_giant said...

:-) thanks for taking me around the city last december. i enjoyed our breakfast in that restaurant (dont expect me to remember the name now!) and the early-bird visit to the mall, then back home where someone got injured(!) and to Prasad theatre to watch the most atrocious movies of recent times, and then watching hussain sagar - of course, all faithfully captured in memory (human and digital)!

BoldTaurean said...

Nice one Mahati..

I didn't c qutb shahi tombs till now..

Tank Bund is 10 mins walk from the place I stayed during my proj.period.I stayed in Aravind Nagar(Anu Atha's house is located there..). I went there in December and the climate was extreme.It went upto 10-12 degrees..:D.

I love the chat items,irani chai there.I ate Veg Biryani at Paradise and it was awesome.

Birla Mandir under lights looks beautiful.

I saw kal ho na ho and mumma bhai at prasads.

Yeah.. Megastar Rocks!!

C this community in orkut..

http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=8838533

Tamilians living in Hyd and their views on the city.. intersting one ..:D

BoldTaurean said...

//and to Prasad theatre to watch the most atrocious movies of recent times//

sainikuduuuuuuuuuuuuuu..thale..:D

i think therefore i am said...

@ttg.. the restaurant was called Minerva Cafe.. The Yummest sambhar in the world is from there.

@boldtaurean.. qutb shahi tombs are on the outskirts of the city. its atleast half a day trip. The one thing i dint do in hyd was drink irani chai.. But tat is bcoz i dont drink chai!!!

Divya said...

Hyderabad is an awesome city.. Live there for 5 years.. Enjoyed every bit of it! I would love tog o back for the biriyanis u can die for all the Karachi biscuits! :)

i think therefore i am said...

oh yeah..forgot the biscuits.. this post jus gives a brief list of places.. and i think there is a significant attachment atleast for me because of childhood memories there!!