Wednesday, December 21, 2005

come they told me...

this morning on the way to work i drove by a school.It was decorated with stars and generally looked all christmas-y.... this reminded me of my school and how awesome christmas was at school..
A long time ago when i was in class 3(i said long time ago) we were doing the christmas play and I was Mary.I was all dressed up in blue with a long gown sorta thing with a blue veil on my head.My best frnd keerthi was joseph and she had this beard stuck on her face that made her look really scary.The entire play I avoided looking at her. And another frnd of mine Mridula was the drummer boy who sang "Come they told me..pa rapapam pam.." and another frnd Vidya was the angel right on top.
Anyways without boring you guys with those details of who was who..The thing was the frndship that we all cultivated.Each year christmas was a chance for us to make frnds with ppl we didnt know.It also was a chance for us to share our goodies with the less privelaged ones.One Christmas tradition which I really liked was playing Chris-ma/Chris-child. It was super fun figuring out wat to get ur Chris-child.Still have some of the stuff we got.This was a gud way for me to make frnds with ppl outside my circle of frnds.It also taught me to save money for the little gifts I had to buy.
The other thing was making Christmas Cards.My school set aside this day when we all of us made cards that were sent home around Christmas/New Year.The loud speakers played Christmas carols and we set about making the cards.Then again was a time for sharing the felt-tip pens,glue,glitter etc..
And finally the one thing that had a profound impact on me..This was called White Christmas where we all dropped gifts into a huge bag and these were shared with left fortunate ppl than us.This was a superb concept.

And then there is now.When the first thing that came to my mind was..Y is it on a Sunday??? I would have a holiday from work otherwise.But looking at those children in that school I smiled to myself and thought someone else is doing all those things that I did..and they cherishing it as much as I did

I must also add that I am still best frnds with keerthi(inspite of us living in diff cities) and still in touch with Mridula and Vidya..(guess everything didnt change after all!!!)

And if u wondering y this post is called come they told me.- the first thing I associate with Christmas is this carol that the little drummer boy sang on his way to see the New Born King,Son of God

6 comments:

Preethi Mahalingam said...

hey da mugs...yeah wht a coincidence!! seriously christmas time in church park rock da!! missin' it!!

Speak Logic said...

On saturday we were discussing about the same topic:= "christmas during our 4th class and 5th class days". Mainly about, how we were compelled to come to church to sing few songs and How we used to fight for 2nd row and joined only in the chorus instead of singing the whole song.....they are "sweet memories". Your blog added some more memories....really I miss some of my friends now. Thanx for posting a very nice blog at the correct time.

i think therefore i am said...

sorry for making u miss ur frnds now..actually u shud check out preethi's blog too..she had also blogged abt the same thing.we were classmates

Speak Logic said...

Thanx for referring to preethi blog. So, now i am a regular reader of three blogs.....

Unknown!!! said...

Hey thanx a lot for stopping by and reading...did u read the post " Reminiscence...."..that's my all time fav.post...hmm...and mee posts lo koncham senti ekkuva.;)
keep blogging..will blog roll....
bye..

Unknown!!! said...

Merry Christmas...belated.