Wednesday, March 21, 2007

As usual... Unedited!!!


Is it wrong to want something???


Is it wrong to work toward tangible benefits???


Is it wrong to think that this "I am the best at what I do" and to play up those positive aspects???


Is it wrong to tell the world that "all i want is everything"???


Anyone who expresess desire for something is censured by society in general. Its wrong to want. We should be happy with what we get. Think of the millions who dont have it. So be thankful. Well ok, I am thankful. But what if I want to work towards making my life a little better. Where is the better u ask me? Where is the level of satisfaction? A good home, good food to eat, money to take yearly holidays etc. Is that satisfaction? Or is it a meal, some shelter over my head? Or is it a chance at a better education? The answer is all of it... To some it might mean the first, to some the second and to some others the third. So when I was told to think about the starving millions, were the starving millions told that they have to be thankful for the fact that they are alive as opposed to the dying millions!!!!


Wont society be a better place if everyone worked toward their wishes. Aim for the stars. Ok so everyone isnt an astronaut!!! (haar haar haar..thought i might introduce some humor into my otherwise serious post) But aim high. Work towards that goal. Turn all the forces toward it. Focus all of the mental forces and physical forces toward it. And once its achieved then the next goal and then the next. As it was told to us as babies "God helps those who help themselves". This way I think we can have Utopia. Everyone works hard and honest(sorry forgot to stress this earlier- wont help if the robber works really hard) If you work toward something without stepping on people you are entitled to it. Enjoy it and work toward it...


Maybe this is why Ayn Rand is criticized soo much. Atlas Shrugged (I am sure now u got where the post came from!!!) talks about just this. If I work toward something and aiming high then I am entitled to its benefit. If I make a ton of money I will use it the way I choose. I dont need to make sure everyone else gets an equal share of it. Read the book if u can go through a lot of similar speeches. You will either love it or hate it( as put by my loved one). It took me over a year and a half to read it. Had to put it down several times. But I loved every bit of it. What is the worst that can happen - you will hate it. Even then you can show off sayin you read an Ayn Rand and you hated it...(its a status symbol to hate it too)

They have big words for it. Objectivism etc.. I am not really sure what it means. But I think wants and desires are the reason we are human and not otherwise. We have a duty to do. Lets fulfill it.




5 comments:

tt_giant said...

Sure. If you do take " If you work toward something without stepping on people you are entitled to it" seriously.

Nothing is wrong as long as you don't ruin other people's lives in the process. But if you do, then a great big owl will swoop down and strike with great vengeance.

Found it funny when you ended saying you didn't get objectivism but still liked the story ;-)

i think therefore i am said...

@ttg.. its not that i dont get objectivism.. i mean that the wish to do ur own work is not a crime..

tt_giant said...

Thats not what you said in the post.

Anyways, The Gita itself says: "Even if you don't do good to others, atleast don't do harm". You can call this objectivism, objectivity, objection, observation.. whatever.

///slash\\\ said...

Ahem Ahem!!!
the owls better half referring to Ayn rant(no that wasn't a typo) in complimentary tones???.
One of the reasons rand was vilified was that the time when she landed in the states there was a very strong and popular movement towards the left when her works are as right as they come. Try reading "The Ayn rand Cult" by Jeff Walker, very interesting read.

i think therefore i am said...

@ slash he he he he he..well wat can i say...