Tuesday, November 22, 2005

happiest phase of my life

Deepthi was my best frnd in college.We did everything together.Deepthi was seeing this guy who didnt belong to the same community as her.But for that difference(which accordin to me is no difference at all) they were an ideal couple.They were made for each other(or so our circle of frnds thot)
Flash forward to the future.Deepthi and I finished college.Deepthi told her mom abt this guy and the next thing I know she is gettin engaged to a gud boy from the same community as her and the boy was chosen by her parents.The guy had apparently come down from some place in America with the sole aim of finding a bride.And after rejecting some 200 fotos,accepted to meet my frnd.(her family was flattered)And before I knew it they were engaged.All this happened within a week and my frnd Deepthi is all of 21!!!!!!!!!!

My amazement doesnt stop here.Deepthi's mom-in-law doesnt like it if she has ear-piercings so she takes of her earings.Deepthi's mom-in-law doesnt like it if she has her nose pierced too..so off with that.Deepthi's mom-in-law thinks she should cut her hair and within half an hour calls back to say that she doesnt think its a gud idea and she shud probably grow her hair.Deepthi's mom-in-law took her saree shopping and picked all the sarees that she thinks my frnd shud wear at her wedding.Ok i am sure u got it..Bottom line..Deepthi's mom-in-law.

Wat amazes me is that this grl who checked out guys with me,ate pani puti on the street with me and did all the crazy things that normal teenagers do is putting herself thru this load of crap without complaining.

I always thought tat the millions of saas-bahu serials were a cliche.And all those books which showed the huge comical family were an exaggeration.But apparently not..I have just come to realize that when an Indian grl turns 21 her family starts the famous quest for the most suited bridegroom.(their logic is u have all the fun u want but when u gettin married we pick the guy)

Deepthi spends her time shopping and at the parlor these days.She came home and gave me her wedding invitation yesterday.It was worded as follows
join me when i enter the most happiest phase in my life with the man of my dreams!!!
All that I hear from her these days are how irritatin her mom-in-law is..wonderin wat the happiest phase is..

At times like this I am really thankful that my parents let me do my own thing.I am at the moment leadin my life on my terms and am still biding my time till when the man of my dreams comes and i enter the happiest phase of my life!!!

11 comments:

Speak Logic said...

Everything comes all of a sudden in life, my dear lady. Many TV serials are a mixture daily life events in many lives. but the worst thing is they just combine the dark things.

You keep waiting for the ideal match and one fine morning you too wake up with a question what if i don't find an ideal match? then comes comprimises....

Abdul Aziz said...

i was frm your college... who the hell is deepthi???

i think therefore i am said...

hey yuvraj..i am not talking abt waiting for the ideal man..i was soooo amazed at the fact that thru the generations not much has changed when it comes down to nitty gritty

i think therefore i am said...

and hey dummustani..who the hell are u???also deepthi is a name i used to protect the identity of the person as i dont want to offend her..

kpowerinfinity said...

I am surprized that your friend succumbed to parental pressure so fast! I would think that if parental pressure forced them to break up, she would be really devastated and not even consider marriage with another guy!

Yes, tehre is a huge irony hidden in that card!

Speak Logic said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Speak Logic said...

hi "I think therfore I am", What can you see that hasn't changed through generations???. may be girls like you who just consider the few things left during the complete transformation of changes don't recognise things.

Love at college is 99% nothing more than "bundha" kind of stuff. jokes, movies, outings, hell lot of phone bill....anything more( you can add by urself).

Not everything in the previous generations are faults.....there were good things too and people realize that very late. what has just started is "deepthi's marriage" and who knows deepthi and her in-laws might end up with very good understanding not just physical.

If deepthi is gonna end up in kitchen cooking for her family for the rest of her life, its not the system to blamed....its herself. she is no illetrate and no country fruit to be made fool by everyone. what do u say????

Speak Logic said...

have a look at this blog:::

http://riversoil.blogspot.com

i think therefore i am said...

well yuvaraj.i think tat she is partly responsible for wat she is putting herself thru and also hope and pray tat she does get along with her in-laws..wat i was appalled at was her bowing to parental pressure and the pressure of society..surely tat is hardly expected in this day and age

Suze said...

hey girl! mail me later, and do tell me.. who is deepthi!

and yes, it happens.. to the best of us.. lucky for you n me our parents won't pressurize us into doing something like that..

(personally, i still think my dad will be happy if someday i bring home a guy!..:-) )

but all the stuff in serials happens in real life. I guess she is trying to satisfy as many people as she can..
hope she finds some happiness for herself in there as well

Speak Logic said...

see parents are parents at any cost. If She bowed to her parental pressure, I will make a simple inference....she never loved anyone.

Love if true gives all the courage to fight for its existance and ... stop stop stop stop. I am not going to explain what exactly is love. I myself am not 100% sure.

If american dream can overcome one's love...then certainly its not love. Infactuation, misunderstanding of a good friendship ... it can be anything. Try to think with reality...